Conversation::Minimalism

Hello, my dear readers! Today I bring you a new aspect of Sprinkle of Style. Something I've been working on and wanting to do lately. I'm introducing a conversational section of my blog, sometimes relating to fashion, and sometimes not. This is going to be somewhat of a space to reflect on my recent thoughts, and to keep me grounded in a sense. I enjoy writing and that isn't something I do a whole ton of on here. I know I write about what I'm wearing, but how deep can that really be? It can almost seem shallow at times. Though I am passionate about fashion and style and shopping and all of that good stuff, I want to be able to write about other areas of my life as well. Let this be a conversation between us, I'd love to hear you're thoughts. I plan on making this a weekly segment, so I'd love to hear your feedback.
So for this week the topic I've chose to write about is minimalism. To hear more on my thoughts about this subject, just keep on reading!



 As of late, I've been intrigued by the idea of minimalism. This little thought was planted in my head one night when I was falling asleep to an Andy Stanley podcast (Balanced, Part Five- Managing Your Money) where he talked about, essentially how the less we have, the more content we are. I began to dwell on this statement and the more I thought about it, the more realistic it sounded. In today's day and age, everything seems to be about who has more possessions. Since when did owning more bring anyone happiness? Maybe temporary happiness, but what happens when the next big thing is released and you don't have it? Feelings of discontentment begin to arise and what you were once excited about is now meaningless. I know because I've been there. One of my goals this year was to be more joyful which is an attitude I have to choose daily. I have found that that joy and minimalism fit together rather well, actually. Here is what I've concluded: my possessions aren't bringing me joy, they're actually distracting me from it. When I'm always searching for something better, I'm never going to be happy with what I have. Now, this is certainly not something that is easy- I'm accustomed to want more, and fashion school only makes supporting this train of thought harder. This conclusion definitely didn't formulate overnight, believe me, its been something that has been on my mind for a while now. Being a college student, with only a part time job, I've had to learn how to live with less. Less clothing; there certainly isn't a ton of space in my dorm room closet, Less shopping; extra money needs to be paying off loans rather than spent on a new pair of booties, less space; for obvious reasons, I could go on. College is really the perfect time for me to make this transition. This is not something I would have ever thought I would say at the start of my freshman year, but I suppose I've grown in some ways. Finding joy, and becoming more minimal in what I own and buy is a step I'm taking in an effort to maintaining a joyful life. De-cluttering my life and my thoughts definitely bring clarity to many aspects of my being. The way I'm embracing the less-is-more concept is focusing on quality rather than quantity. I know this isn't going to be easy for me, but its something I wholeheartedly believe will teach me new lessons and build my character. It really interests me to discover my motives behind buying things. Something as simple as this concept challenges me to think about my habits in a new way, what do you think? I'd love to hear your voice in the comments.
Below I've linked to a few articles and videos that have inspired this train of thought, I hope you enjoy!
xx Mariah 

No comments

Post a Comment

© sprinkle of style
Design:Maira Gall.