Reflections















On occasion, I am able to convince myself to leave the comfort of my warm bed and venture out for pictures before seven in the morning. I’m always so pleased with how morning pictures turn out. Cool toned with foggy backgrounds and nobody in sight.
On this particular morning, Morgan and I pulled into a small parking space in a nearby town before any local shops opened for the day. As I opened the door to step out of the car, I looked down only to realize that I had chosen the only spot in the wide open parking lot with a four-inch deep puddle waiting where I had originally planned to withdraw from the car. I didn’t think much of my decision and hastily backed up and chose a dry area to park. I was set on taking pictures on the train tracks and so that’s just what we did. We proceeded to the desolate tracks, with only the sound of my heels clacking, distant construction workers hammering and a lawnmower’s hum to fill the air. It was peaceful alright and I realized that I don’t see enough mornings. As cautious as I am, I stepped onto the train tracks and only lasted thirty seconds standing on the tracks themselves in fear that the morning train would show up any minute. 

While pictures in this location turned out just as I had hoped, I find the reflection pictures even better than I had hoped.
After our twenty minute shoot, we loaded up the car ready to head home. I looked through the pictures Morgan took, pleased at how they turned out. I put the car in reverse and before I began to move Morgan stopped me and said, “Hey, let’s take pictures using the puddle”. I was hesitant, I already had the pictures I needed and was ready to head home for a giant cup of coffee… is this really necessary?  Despite what I was feeling, I decided to trust Morgan’s eye and I’m so glad I did. I often get caught up in what I want and what I think that I don’t listen or trust what others have to say and it scares me to think that I’ve previously missed out on beautifully crafted moments like this because of my stubbornness.
What originally seemed to be an obstacle turned out to be one of the most beautiful masterpieces. This puddle which I originally viewed as an inconvenience turned out to create some of my favorite pictures. So why don't we look at life like this puddle? Whatever you're facing can be leveraged into something beautiful and powerful. You may feel like you're standing in the middle of a giant puddle right now, but just know this chapter in your life isn't going to go unnoticed. Your story matters and is being written by the Creator of the universe, don't you know His plans for you are better than you've dreamed? I hope no matter how big or small, you're able to see that there is a purpose to all you have faced. You have a story that can be used for something greater. 
Its so important to have those people in your life who see the beauty in everything and aren’t afraid to call you out when all you want to do is resist. These are the people who keep you grounded during shaky times. As for me, I'm working on this too. Its hard to overlook something that may seem to be in my way, but I'm slowly learning to see the beauty in life's trials because I know there is something greater for me ahead. 

I hope you too, wherever you may be in life, decide to see the beauty in whatever you’re going through. Know God has a plan for all your struggles and obstacles, just lean into Him for a peaceful heart through it all.

Thanks for reading friends! 
xx Mariah

Dress: ASOS

No comments

Post a Comment

© sprinkle of style
Design:Maira Gall.