Back To School//Tips For A Successful Year


Whether it’s your first year of high school, your first year of college, maybe you’re transferring… this is really for anyone jumping into a new season of life. First times can be scary especially when you don’t know what to expect. I’m that type of person that loves to try new things if I know the end result… and well, as I’m growing as a person, I’m figuring out that there are more unknowns than answers these days. Slowly but surely I’m learning to be brave and embrace all of those unknowns.
So before I get too deep and sentimental, I’m going to jump into my tips for all of you college freshman! Yay! I learned a lot in my first year of college, and not just in the classrooms. Being on your own gives you more time to figure out who you want to be, what your interests are and what types of people you enjoy being around… the list goes on! I’ve compiled a list of the top ten things/tips I learned as a freshman and I hope you find this helpful!



1.    Partying and drinking isn’t the only thing to do

I know what you’re thinking… cool Mariah, I’ve already heard this from my mom and I don’t need to hear it from you. Yeah, I realize I started off with the most controversial tip and I realize not everyone wants to hear it, but this is honestly something huge I learned my freshman year. Oftentimes we find ourselves doing things we don’t enjoy just to fit in don’t we? FOMO (the fear of missing out) is real isn’t it? Yes it is! Guess what friends, college is a time to be yourself. Really any phase of life is a good time to be yourself, but college offers a new start for most of you. You can become whoever you want to be, you are not bound to any identity you feel the need to fulfill and you have the power to redefine who you are. My biggest piece of advice is to be true to who you are, no matter what others want you to be. I, like anyone else, love to have fun. If you don’t like to have fun you’re lying to yourself! I personally don’t think partying and drinking is enjoyable. I’m not shy to admit that I didn’t drink my freshman year and don’t plan to anytime soon. There is so much to do at school, and so many other ways to have fun… don’t feel the need to do something just because someone else thinks it’s cool. Be you and you’ll attract the right people. Also just remember how much you’re paying for school… don’t throw it away to drunk nights at a frat house. And don’t think I’m condemning those that love to party, do what you will, it’s just not for me.

2.    You will become friends with unexpected people

This was my favorite revelation during my freshman year. You meet so. Many. People. Every day I met someone new going about my daily routine. You connect with others in so many ways. Over doing laundry, a hairstyle, going to social events, you name it. My roommate Kylee (Hi Kylee!) and I became roommates and best friends because we were wearing the same shorts and she complemented them. Crazy, huh? You’ll find things in common with unexpected people you may not have reached out to if you were still in high school. Be brave enough to start a conversation because you’ll never know what kind of friendships will develop. Even going into my second year of college, I’m so excited to meet new people and create new bonds. I know how scary the thought of rejection is, how crazy it is that you’re in a new world with new people you know nothing about. Don’t let fear get the best of you, just reach out. Something amazing could come from it.

3.    Do not bring your entire closet to school

Wow, this was one of my biggest mistakes. Please take my advice on this one and don’t bring everything you own, especially if you’re living in a dorm. It’s an all-around bad idea and I chose to ignore this advice because I’m a fashion major and thought bringing all my clothes would somehow help me succeed. I promise you that you won’t wear half of them. Also, I’m expanding on my advice for this one in a post coming soon, so keep an eye out for that!


4.    Greek Life isn’t what you think

Some of you may know that I went through formal recruitment within the first month of being at school. I can honestly say that it was one of the most fun weeks of my life. It was full of minimal amounts of sleep, pizza bagels at two in the morning and a whole lot of talking. So you know all those stereotypes placed on sororities and fraternities? Well I’m here to tell you movies like Legally Blonde and Neighbors don’t accurately reflect the Greek community. This year hundreds of thousands of dollars were poured into those in need all over the country thanks to Greek Life. Not only do we raise money for great causes, you get to do so while meeting women who share similar values. Now I’m not saying Greek men and women are absent from the party scenes, I’m saying that there is a lot more to it than that. My advice to you is to go through recruitment if you’re interested in the slightest and choose the place where you feel most at home. Going Greek doesn’t mean “paying for your friends” it means connecting with your peers and creating lifelong friendships and bettering yourself those around you.

5.    Taking time for yourself is important

Between going to class, getting involved, creating a social life and being around people 24/7 in general, it’s so important to take time to recharge and take time to do something you love. Without this breathing room, not only will you become cranky, your grades and health could be effected (and staying healthy is so important during the school year, trust me). For more on this topic check out this post here!

6.    Procrastinating is an awful idea

In high school I procrastinated quite a bit of the time. I crammed for tests the night before, started projects later than I should have… sound familiar? Let me tell you it’s not as easy in college! After nearly pulling an all nighter to finish a very important project and struggling the entire next day, being tired is one of the worst feelings ever. So is stress. It is so easy to put things off until last minute since there is so much to do, but remember why you’re in school. Especially if you’re majoring in the arts… this is a competitive field and you’re not going to do your best if you put everything off. Now, this is definitely a habit that takes time to break and I still struggle to force myself to get my work done early. But we can do this together! Create a to-do list for the day and try to conquer two big tasks and three little ones. I find this method works well for me, but let me know in the comments if you have effective methods to tackling a large workload.


7.    Socializing, Sleeping and Studying is possible

I know there are rumors out there that having a healthy balance of these three components of college life is impossible, but it is, I promise! There are definitely seasons during the school year when you’ll have to spend more time focusing on one area than the other, but it won’t always be like that. It really comes down to time management. This definitely connects with the whole don’t procrastinate thing and once you determine your priorities, you’ll too find this balance.

8.    The freshman fifteen doesn’t have to be real

Your school most likely has a rec center and you can most likely utilize the gym for free using your student ID right? For most of you yes! I know the weeks get busy and fitness usually is the first thing to take the back seat, but making time for a fifteen minute run or a quick ab workout session in your dorm room can make all the difference. Even if you hate working out, try walking to class instead of taking the bus, those little things every day make a huge difference. Also, you’ll have an unlimited (well, limited by your meal plan) access to a multitude of unhealthy options as well as Insomnia Cookies at 2 a.m. Girl, skip it. As many greasy options as there are there is an equal amount of healthy foods to choose from. My biggest tip is not to keep junk food in your dorm room. If it’s not there you’ll be less likely to snack on it and overall less likely to think about it. When it comes to meals, try to focus on portion size more than anything… for more, read this helpful article here! And don’t worry it’s totally okay to splurge once in a while… we all have those cravings.  


9.    Do not buy books until you’ve been to class

Don’t do it. Trust me. First semester I was scared to death of being kicked out of a lecture hall in front of everyone if I didn’t have all of my supplies (like that scene in Legally Blonde you know?) It won’t happen. The first week is all about adjusting and you mainly review the course syllabus… so you have time to figure out what you need in a timely manner. I have a quick story: second semester I needed about eight books for the classes I was taking and I only bought one. So that being said, I only needed 12% of what I originally thought I needed… in turn I saved myself about five hundred dollars. And saving money is super important when you’re in college… you know that. Do I sound like your mom yet?

10. Get involved
Do it! Go to that cake baking class if it sounds fun, join a fitness group on campus to meet new people, join a club that stands for something you believe in. The best way to get the most out of your first year of college is to put your all into it. Don’t be afraid to try new things… you may discover something new about yourself. It’s important to make life long friends and connections with people who have connections. These days finding a job is more about who you know than anything, isn’t it? I still have a lot to learn, but I know this is a great way to enhance future success career wise. Also, who doesn’t love meeting new people?

So, I hope you found this post helpful and insightful. I’m so excited to be kicking off August with a back to school series. New years for fresh starts right? Join me in preparing for a successful year! Stay tuned for more posts coming this week related to back to school.

Thanks for reading!
xx Mariah

No comments

Post a Comment

© sprinkle of style
Design:Maira Gall.